Thursday, April 4, 2013

carbo-loading


Recently a friend posted a video to Facebook (which is now no longer available, unfortunately) of a lecture given by Gary Taubes, presenting the findings contained in his books "Why We Get Fat: And What to Do About It" and "Good Calories, Bad Calories: Fats, Carbs, and the Controversial Science of Diet and Health."

Basically he states that insulin response in the body triggers fat storage, and high glycemic-index foods cause a greater insulin response and are therefore the cause of fat storage in the body.

High glycemic-index foods include refined carbohydrates like sugar (in all forms,) white flour, white rice, high sugar fruits (most tropical fruits) etc.

After hearing this lecture I've been trying to cut out these items, but as I walked into the grocery store the other day I thought: "No wonder there is an obesity epidemic in America. More than half the store is FULL of these items... These aren't just the occasional treat, they are considered by people as diet staples."

Also, when I see really obese people I think to myself "wow... I bet you like bread... a lot."

I've never been much of a fan of bread, myself. I've always considered it merely a delivery mechanism for much better foods (as pizza crust, sandwich/burrito outer covering, etc.)

I'm curious to read the books - I've got them on order from Amazon.

No comments: