Monday, May 19, 2008

Faceplant!

dah dah dum dum dum, another one bites the dust!

At the end of my weekly bike ride I decided to take the short cut across the field back to my friends' house where we had started the ride from. The normally dry ditch had some water in it, but I didn't think twice about it - surely my bike tire would just roll right out... but nope - I went down in the ditch and the front tire stuck hard - at which point I proceeded to flip head over handlebars and land face-first in the dirt. Luckily I only ended up with a scrape on my chin and no broken teeth or bones. My jaw was a little sore the rest of the day, but that was it. I fully expected some latent aches today, too, but there were none. Not even mild whiplash. Lucky to have escaped pretty much unscathed from my first bike accident in approximately 20 years...

4 comments:

LadyCarma said...

Didn't your mother ever tell you to stay out of the mud! I am glad you are okay. That must have been a scary moment when you went flying in the air. I love your stories. Keep writing.

Guinevere said...

That is what I'm terrified will happen to me. I got stitches thanks to a trick like that. :) I hang back over the rear tire whenever I go down even the slightest incline (decline?).

slwool said...

When I was in Belgium on my mission I had a "temporary" summer companion from Arras, France named Joel Nivard. We were riding our bikes on a cobblestone road with a tram track in the middle. We needed to turn left, so I led the way, making a sharp left so I angled across the tracks at about 45 degrees. Joel didn't take the hint. He was too parallel when he crossed and his front tire dropped into the groove and he went sailing, landing on his chin and the palm of his hand. Bad gash! Ruined his white shirt. I helped him up and got him home and disinfected and taped his wounds. He was out of commission for a couple of days! I never dreamed a Frenchman wouldn't know how to ride a bicycle across tram tracks. Bicycles and tram tracks were everywhere!

kd said...

Dallin, you've got to email your cousin Mark (my husband) and ask him about recent bike accidents. And that's all I have to say about that. :)